Creamy, cheesy, and easy—I’m not sure about you, but those are three of our favorite adjectives when it comes to a meal at Alpenrose. Perfect for those lazy days where comfort is top priority, this easy mac and cheese is ready in just minutes!
Reminiscent of a certain blue boxed mac’n’cheese but elevated by fresh ingredients our recipe combines fresh local pasta, creamy whole-milk ricotta, grated parmesan and fresh lemon zest and juice for a light but filling anytime meal. Check out what you’ll need and how to prepare below!
What You Need…
- Montelupo Cavatappi or GF Penne, 1 Pound
- BelGioioso Whole-Milk Ricotta, 1 Cup
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese, 1 Cup, Plus more for serving
- Freshly Grated Lemon Zest, 1 Tablespoon
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice, ¼ Cup
- Black Pepper, To Taste
- Red-Pepper Flakes, To Taste
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook according to package instructions until al dente. Reserve 1 cup pasta cooking water, then drain the pasta.
2. In the same pot, make the sauce: Take off the heat and add the ricotta, Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper and stir until well combined.
3. Add 1/2 cup pasta water to the sauce and stir until smooth. Add the pasta and continue to stir vigorously until the noodles are well coated. Add more pasta water as needed for a smooth sauce.
4. Divide the pasta among bowls and top with some of the sauce that’s pooled at the bottom of the pot. Garnish with grated Parmesan, black pepper, red-pepper flakes and basil, if using.