Baked Penne with Sausage
A humble pasta bake is a comforting classic that makes a great weeknight dinner and even better leftovers. One of our favorite takes on the casserole uses some of our top picks from our friends at BelGioioso, Carlton Farms, Montelupo Italian Market, Tillamook and Zenner’s.
This easy, cheesy dish uses three cheeses—ricotta, mozzarella and Parmesan—balancing out the bold red sauce featuring the additions of bacon and sausage. Ready in under an hour!
What you need
- BelGioioso Ricotta Con Latte, 1 cup
- BelGioioso Shredded Parmesan Cheese, ½ cup
- Carlton Farms Uncured Sliced Bacon, 4 ounces
- Montelupo Gluten Free Penne Pasta, 10 ounces
- Montelupo House Red Sauce
- Tillamook Shredded Mozzarella Cheese, 2 cups
- Zenner’s Smoked Bratwurst, 1 pound
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Firmly packed torn fresh basil, ½ cup
- Kosher salt, ½ teaspoon
- Dried crushed red pepper, ½ teaspoon
Preheat oven to 350°. Prepare penne according to package direction for al dente.
Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat 3 minutes. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 3 minutes or until onion is tender. Cut sausage into bite-size pieces and sauté for 5 minutes. Add one container of Montelupo House Red Sauce, prepared to package instructions. Reduce heat to low and cook—stirring occasionally.
Stir ricotta and 1 cup mozzarella cheese into hot cooked pasta. Lightly grease a 13” X 9” inch or similarly sized baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer pasta mixture to prepared dish and top with sauce prepared in step 2. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese.
Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly. Serve hot & enjoy!