Green Shakshuka With Avocado and Lime
A fun and easy adaption of the classic North African dish, this recipe features perfectly poached eggs nestled in a flavorful, vibrant green sauce. It's perfect for your next one-pan brunch or dinner.
What you need
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 10 oz. Earthbound Farm Organic Baby Spinach
- 1/2 tsp. salt, plus more as needed
- 1/3 cup Alpenrose Heavy Whipping Cream
- 8 Alpenrose Organic Eggs
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper, plus more as needed
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta
- Fresh avocados, sliced for serving
- 1 small jalapeño, thinly sliced, for serving
- Chopped cilantro, for serving
Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add in the garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes, until fragrant.
Increase the heat to medium-high, add in the spinach in small batches until they are sufficiently wilted. Season the onion, garlic, spinach mixture with 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and the heavy whipping cream while gently stirring the mixture.
Using the back of a spoon, make eight small nests in the mixture and crack an egg into each hollow. Cover with a lid or foil and reduce the heat again to medium-low. Cook until the eggs are just set, but still soft and creamy, about 7 to 9 minutes. Remove the lid and season with additional salt and pepper to tastes. Garnish with cheese, avocado, jalapeño, and cilantro. Serve with smoked hot sauce, toasted tortillas or chips, and lime wedges.