Recipe: Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins
Monday, September 12, 2022
Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins
Apple Cinnamon Oat Muffins are not only easy to make; they’re also healthy and delicious! These store well in the fridge or freezer and make a great grab-and-go breakfast or snack all week long!
- 1½ cups milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup maple syrup or sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce (see recipe below!)
- 3 cups old-fashioned whole oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup peeled, chopped Gala apple
- Optional: coarse sugar to top and ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray.
- Whisk all ingredients together, except for the apples and nuts, in 1 large bowl. Using a spoon or rubber spatula, fold in the apples and nuts. Batter will be wet. Spoon batter evenly into muffin cups, making sure both the oats/apples and liquid are in each. Fill all the way to the top.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned and top appears set. If the tops appear to brown very quickly, tent aluminum foil on top.
- Cool 5 minutes before serving. Refrigerate for up to 1 week.
HOMEMADE APPLESAUCE RECIPE:
- ¾ cup water
In a saucepan, combine apples, water, and cinnamon. Cover, and cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, or until apples are soft. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork or potato masher.
(If you want sweetened applesauce, just add ¼