End of the Season: Fresh Produce & New Recipes
Our Harvest Produce Box with our friends at Pacific Coast Fruit is back again for the last time this season. While we’re sad to see it go, we’re incredibly excited to share these delicious recipes with you that can be created using ingredients featured in the box! This time around we have living lettuce from Starr Produce, green beans, pomegranates from Pom Wonderful, seedless lemons from Wonderful Citrus, OG envy apples from Oppenheimer Co., yellow potatoes from Double-N Potatoes, and Navel Oranges from Sequoia.
Delicious as side dishes or ready to enjoy all on their own, this time we’ll be walking you through how to make Pomegranate Quinoa with Pistachios and Mint and Thai Fried Green Beans, yum!
Pomegranate Quinoa with Pistachios and Mint
What You’ll Need…
- 3 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- ½ cup roasted pistachios, roughly chopped
- ¾ cup of your favorite vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint, chiffonade
How to Prepare…
- To remove seeds from pomegranate: cut fruit in half, through the “equator” section. Gently squeeze to loosen up the seeds. Over a bowl of cold water, tap the back of each pomegranate half until all of the seeds have fallen into the water. The pulp will float to the top, leaving the seeds in the bottom of the bowl. Strain pulp, then strain water. Set seeds aside.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, pistachio, pomegranate seeds, mint, and dressing. For best results, chill for 1-2 hours in order to allow the flavors to develop. Optional additions: crumbled feta cheese or grilled chicken.
Thai Fried Green Beans
What You'll Need...
- ½ lbs green beans, ends trimmed
- ½ lbs red bell pepper, julienned
- ½ bunch green onion, chopped
- ½ bunch cilantro, chopped
- 3 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce (can substitute tamari or bragg’s aminos)
- 1 tablespoon red chile flake
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
How to Prepare…
- In a small bowl, combine fish sauce, lime juice, soy sauce, chile flakes, and sugar. Set aside.
- Heat a large sauté pan on high heat. Add sesame oil, then green beans and red bell peppers.
- Once vegetables start to become slightly tender, add fish sauce marinade to pan and allow the vegetables to finish cooking in the sauce. Cook for approximately 3-4 minutes until sauce reduces enough to coat vegetables.
- Finish by tossing with green onion and cilantro. Serve immediately.